Lalbhai Dalpatbhai Museum
Museum is the humble abode where it conserves, nurtures and protects history in its womb and makes it come alive for the present generation. The L.D. Museum envisions the same path. The perfect mingling of art and history can be observed here. During 1956, Lalbhai Dalpatbhai Institute of Indology was established with the joint efforts of Shri. Kasturbhai Lalbhai, a wellknown and prominent Ahmedabad based industrialist, and Jain Acharya Muni. Punyavijayji. Muni. Punyavijayji donated his personal collection of illustrated and un-illustrated manuscripts, bronzes and cloth paintings at time at the establishment of Lalbhai Dalpatbhai Indological Institute.
With the passage of time the collection grew more and more prominent which created a need for an exclusive display of the artifacts. Thus, in 1984 a new building adjacent to the L.D. Institute of Indology was built by internationally acclaimed architect Shri. Balakrishna Doshi. The L.D. Museum was formally inaugurated by Shri. Brajkumar Nehru, the then Governor of Gujarat in 1985.
The museum was inaugurated with two designated galleries, Smt. Madhuri Desai Gallery (Ground Floor) and Muni Punyavijayji Gallery (First Floor). In 2004, a third gallery Priyakant T. Munshaw Gallery of coinage was designed.